About Me

I teach TAG (talented & gifted) elementary children in Roswell,Ga. This is my 16th year in the classroom. Currently, I am working on my master's degree in technology in education through Lesley University. Creating this blog is an assignment for one of our classes.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Reflections on readings

I read the article:

Blogging and RSS: The "What's It?" and "How To" of Powerful New Web Tools for Educators. Multimedia and Internet@Schools, 11(1)., Richardson, W. (2004)

I found this article to be quite interesting and informative. I'm glad I read this article after having had some practical experience with blogging and RSS over the weekend. After a brief overview he goes on to discuss the impact on education. He links to a school whose principal has jumped on the bandwagon in a big way. The Meriwether Lewis Elementary Web site [http://lewiselementary.org/] features the latest in news and events related to the school and community. They are collected from a series of separate Weblogs that are hooked together using RSS. How cool is that?Another part that appeals to me is that the content is the focus and not the design of the website.
One teacher used weblogs to dialog about the book "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd
the author herself even joined the discussion. Students also were able to post original art work related to the book.

In terms of RSS the article gave a few ideas about what types of feeds educators may want to subscribe to. You really can find yourself on the cutting edge of information if you take the time to research and subscribe to the right feeds. I will continue to reflect on how I can incorporate RSS and weblogs into my curriculum. The possibilities seem to be endless.

My favorite books

  • The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
  • Comeback by Claire and Mia Fontaine